A Q&A with AEPhi Tulane
By Sydney Van Horn | September 16, 2013
As we celebrate our 25th anniversary this year, the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF) wants to acknowledge an important UP 4 THE FIGHT partner that has stood by our side since 2000: Alpha Epsilon Phi (AEPhi). As AEPhi sisters themselves, co-founders Elizabeth Glaser and Susie Zeegen would be proud of our partnership with this amazing sisterly organization.
There are 50 active AEPhi chapters at universities across the United States that fundraise for EGPAF annually. We have the privilege of spotlighting three of these chapters for the months of September, October, and November to commemorate our anniversary.
First up is the AEPhi Epsilon chapter at Tulane University. The Epsilon chapter has fought for the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation, increasing its fundraising goal annually to spread awareness on campus. Since 2007, this amazing group of women has raised more than $34,000 for EGPAF to reach mothers and children in need of lifesaving HIV treatment worldwide.
Get to know this AEPhi chapter through our Question & Answer session with its leaders, President Ashley Wolofsky and Vice President of Philanthropy Alexandra Cohen:
Tell us, what is unique about your chapter?
• “We are one of the largest AEPhi chapters with a diverse group of girls who are all committed to each other, our community, and our school. We have a unique bond that is not duplicated with any other sorority [at Tulane] and have an appreciation for the values of AEPhi’s national organization.”
What motivates your chapter to fundraise and support EGPAF?
• “Our national organization [Alpha Epsilon Phi] has instilled an importance of giving back to the community, and especially supporting the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation. Every year we look forward to our fundraiser for EGPAF because it gives us an opportunity to work for a common goal as sisters for such an amazing cause as fighting pediatric HIV/AIDS.”
What has been a favorite moment throughout your AEPhi career associated with EGPAF?
• “Our favorite moment throughout our AEPhi career was definitely when we received the email notifying us that we raised more than $17,000 for EGPAF this past year! This was just an added bonus to all of our hard work, seeing that we raised so much money for a cause we care so much about.”
What fundraising events has your chapter planned throughout the years?
• “Each year we host an annual fashion show and trunk show to raise money for EGPAF. It is truly a community event in which members of all different sororities and fraternities participate. We have a DJ, food, and giveaways for everyone in the audience! In addition, we sell bracelets with customized charms for the event itself. Guests are very excited to attend, knowing that they are helping to do good and fight pediatric HIV/AIDS!”
What will you take away from being a member and sister of AEPhi?
• “Lifelong friendships, a commitment to philanthropy and community, and memories that will last a lifetime.”
Thank you to the sisters of the Alpha Epsilon Phi Epsilon chapter at Tulane University for their continued support of the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation! We look forward to their next event as they help us to continue the fight against pediatric HIV/AIDS.
Stay tuned for our October featured AEPhi chapter!
For more information about Alpha Epsilon Phi and the UP 4 THE FIGHT program, please contact Sydney Van Horn at email@example.com.